Tokyo Life Navigator!
Basic Information R&R We want you
Banks Post Offices
Ward Offices Immigration Office

Banking hours: 9-3 on weekdays. Closed on holidays, Saturdays and Sundays.

Hours for cash dispensers or ATMs (Automated Teller Machines) are usually 8:45 - 9:00 on weekdays, and 9 am to 5 pm on Saturdays and Sundays. Some larger branches (Shibuya, Shinjuku, Tokyo, for example) of Tokyo Mitsubishi, Fuji, Sanwa, keep their ATMs operating 24 hours a day. All of Citibank's ATMs operate 24 hours a day. There is an extra charge of 105 yen after 6 pm on weekdays, 2 pm on Saturdays and all day Sundays.

Personal checks are rarely used in Japan, so you need to open an account and use a cash card. If it's during the day, you can use your cash card to withdraw money from your account at any bank in the city.

Post Offices

Japan's post offices are renowned for their service. Very reliable, but may be a bit expensive compared with other countries.

Tokyo International Post Office
In front of Tokyo station 3241-4891
Hours: 9-7 weekdays, 9-5 Saturdays, 9-12:30 Sundays and holidays; airmail
service open 24 hours.

Main offices:
9-7 Mon.-Fri., 9-5 Sat., 9-12:30 Sun. & Hol.

Branch offices:
9-4 or 5 Mon.-Fri., 9-12:30 Sat. Closed Sun. & Nat. Hol., and sometimes 2nd &
3rd Sat.

Post offices also have savings accounts which you can withdraw money from at post offices nationwide, door to door delivery service and will handle utility bills at no extra charge.

Ward Offices
At your port of entry you will have received a slip of paper reminding you to register at the office of the ward in which you reside within 90 days. On presentation of your passport, 2 photos (4.5cmX3.5cm) and fingerprinting, you will receive an Alien Registration card, which must be carried at all times. Alien cards are necessary for all members of the family. Those under 16 don't have to go to the ward office, but still have to be registered by a parent. No photos or fingerprints necessary. Any changes in address, visa status, occupation, etc., must be reported to the office within 14 days.
All ward offices (kuyaku-sho) open 8:30 or 9:00 - 5:00 on weekdays (some close at lunch time), 8:30 - noon on Saturdays. Closed on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of the month.

For telephone numbers, click here.

Immigration Office

Godochosha Dai-ichi-go-kan, 2F, 3F, 1-3-3, Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, 3213-8111.
Subway: Otemachi station, exit C2, first left, second building on right.
Open: 9 - noon, 1 - 5 on weekdays; 9 - noon on Saturdays. (closed 2nd & 4th Saturdays.)

If you want to leave Japan and return before your visa expires, a re-entry permit (single 3,000 yen, multiple 6,000 yen) can be issued in about one hour. This office also handles changes in visa status and visa extensions. Advisable to apply 10 - 15 days in advance.

Branch offices also at Hakozaki, or TCAT (Tokyo City Air Terminal), where airport limousine bus for Narita, and in Shibuya. At these offices, you can apply for an extension of stay, re-entry permits etc. For change of status, you must go to the main office in Otemachi.
Hakozaki branch : 3665-7157
Shibuya branch : 5458-0370
Hours 9:30 - 12:00 13: 00 - 16:00

Copyright by IMA Co., 1999